Sunday, July 25, 2010

Migas!


I was about to make a healthy pot of oatmeal for breakfast this morning until Elton proclaimed he wanted migas. I had most of the ingredients already and I even had a jalapeano that grew in my little herb box that I was excited to use. This is not a healthy breakfast whatsoever, but it is pretty good if you like Mexican food. There are lots of different recipes out there but here is how I make mine.

Ingredients to have:
Corn tortillas
Flour tortillas
Vegetable oil for frying
Jalapeano
Onion
Bell pepper (I used a red one this time)
Eggs
Mexcian cheese
Salsa
Cilantro (optional - I didn't use this time b/c I didn't have any)

1) Chop up corn tortillas for frying. Fry the tortillas and drain. (When I did this I thought about Michael Pollan's rule in his "Food Rules" book which is "make your own junk food" and told myself I was going to fry my own tortillas chips from now on b/c it's so easy and they're really good!)

2) Chop onion, bell pepper, and jalapeano and saute in extra virgin olive oil.


3) Meanwhile crack eggs and break apart for scrambling.

4) Add egg to skillet.

5) Add corn chips you fried and cheese to egg scramble.

6) Broil your flour tortillas.

7) Serve like tacos (put egg mixture in a flour tortilla and top with cheese and salsa).
Enjoy!
Emery watching her mamma make migas.





5 comments:

  1. Yum! Jack says he loves migas. I'll have to try to make them for him sometime. Can Emery get any cuter??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emery's wearing the cute whale onseie you made. Very cute! And the migas look tasty. Will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm...delicious. I love seeing your little observer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, now i've got a craving for migas - thanks reeves! have you read the book 'a homemade life' by molly wizenberg (sp?)? She's a writer for Gourmet and has a blog. In any case you remind me a lot of her with your writing style and recipes. If i ever make it back to book club i'll bring it for you. - denise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look yummy! I love that picture of Emery. I tried to blow it up to get a better look at her and it wouldn't let me:(

    ReplyDelete