Friday, May 21, 2010

Home grown salad greens


What can these four images create?



This! Yum, yum!


My mom bought me a bowl of salad greens for my backyard the other week and I've loved having it to make sandwiches for lunch. Here's how I make a delicious chicken sandwich.

Grill one chicken breast.
Toast one whole wheat bagel in the toaster.
Cut some lettuce greens and basil and wash. Make sure to wash well and check for insects. I found a small green caterpillar-looking thing on mine the other day after I had washed it.
Place some dijon mustard on the bagel. Top with the cooked chicken, lettuce and basil.

Really yummy and fresh tasting. The basil does the trick, I think. I love me some basil!
Also, the great thing about the lettuce bowl is that it won't go bad. I feel like whenever I buy lettuce, I only end up using about one fourth of it and end up having to throw it out.

Try growing your own lettuce or pick up a lettuce bowl the next time you're out and about. I think you'll enjoy it if you don't already do this at home.

1 comment:

  1. We did lettuce in a pot in our backyard for the first time and it is wonderful - just like you said, it lasts so much longer because it isn't dying in the fridge. That does look like a yummy, healthy sandwich!

    ReplyDelete