Monday, August 9, 2010

Prosciutto, P-R-O-S-C-I-U-T-T-O, Prosciutto.


I bought prosciutto last week because I really wanted a prosciutto and fontina cheese panini. Since then I ended up using it in all my recipes this weekend because I had it and didn't want it to go to waste. So, to say the least, I'm a little "prosciutto-ed out," BUT I did have some really yummy recipes that I wanted to share with you all. Here are my four prosciutto recipes from this past week:

1) Thursday night: Prosciutto and Fontina Cheese Panini (see previous post)

2)Friday night: Prosciutto and Fontina Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts

I just butterflied our chicken breasts, wrapped some prosciutto around some fontina cheese and put it in the middle and then grilled the chicken on the grill pan for 5 minutes, flipped them and put them in the oven for another 5 or so minutes. Pretty good.

3) Sunday morning: Herb and Goat Cheese Scrabbled Egg Sprinkled with Prosciutto
This is a REALLY good breakfast recipe that I got from Ina Garten. I baked some prosciutto at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes and crumbled it on top of the eggs and served it with whole wheat toast. Really good! Definitely try the egg recipe - that's what was truly good about it, but the sprinkled prosciutto was a nice touch, I thought.

Here is Ina's recipe:


I didn't use the half and half or the butter (just sprayed the pan with some extra virgin olive oil) and I used thyme instead of the chives this time.

4)BBQ Chicken

I love trying a Tyler Florence Ultimate recipe and usually they are pretty complicated, but this one really wasn't so bad. I'd definitely do this recipe again. It's definitely a "weekend" recipe. I love spending time on a Sunday afternoon cooking a yummy dinner while playing Scrabble with my husband.

Here is his recipe and I used prosciutto in the BBQ sauce instead of the bacon.


I served it with this roasted potato salad which I really like and got off of food network a couple of years ago. It's a love it or hate it kind of recipe. Some people don't like the vinegar/mustard flavor in it, but I love it!



Okay, folks. If you see prosciutto at the store and want to buy some you've now got yourself some recipes. Enjoy! Personally, I don't think I'll be eating any more for a while but maybe in a few months I'll get that craving again. I'm also pleased to say I learned how to spell it correctly after writing this blog. I kept wanted to put the u before the i. I'm ready for an Italian spelling bee!

No comments:

Post a Comment