Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Simple Salad


I used to hate salads but lately I've been loving them. I think it's because I used to not put anything good in my salads because I was worried about calories and fat. But now that I don't worry about that and concern myself instead with making sure the foods I eat are not processed and natural, my salads are yummy!

Here is a simple, yummy salad I've been into lately. It's nothing new, but thought I would post it in case you were in a salad rut and needed an idea for something different. It's a great salad to get you into the mood for fall, too.

I call it my Fruit, Cheese, and Nut Salad (got the idea from Crisp's "Fruit Cheese and Nut" salad. Really good if you haven't visited it in Charlotte - www.crispfoods.com)

This is how I make it for just me:

Lots of baby spinach
One apple sliced (make sure it's organic - apples are one of the foods on the "must get organic" list)
Sliced red onion
1 oz. of cheese of your choice (I do whatever I have on hand - today it was Gouda)
Handful of nuts (I actually buy this "Omega Trek Mix" from Trader Joes which has pecans, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and dried cranberries)

For the dressing:
Salt
Pepper
Red wine vinegar (2 parts)
Extra virgin olive oil (1 part) and make sure it's the good kind since you're not cooking with it

Toss together and eat. See - told you it was simple.



1 comment:

  1. YUM! Had it for lunch today & think I could eat it for lunch every day! Had avocado & edamame on hand so added that too.

    ReplyDelete