Monday, November 22, 2010

Gobble up your scraps this Thanksgiving!


My friend Emily Huband made an adorable applique turkey shirt the other week which inspired me to try some, as well. All the little cousins will be together this Thanksgiving so I thought it might be cute for them to wear matching turkey shirts on Thanksgiving morning. I've only tried a couple of things so far with applique on my machine, so I thought this might be a good idea for more practice.

First, I made my pattern pieces out of card stock for the feathers and body of the turkey. Afterwards, I cut all my fabric out and then did the same with the interfacing. I then attached the interfacing to each piece of fabric with an iron. Next, I cut some triangle beaks out and appliqued them to the bodies. Then I hand-stiched a few french knots to make the eyes. To attach to the shirts I started with the center feather and appliqued each one. Last step was to applique the body and then I was done! I started off using a tan/cream colored thread for everything but then switched to a brown thread for the bodies on the last two shirts - which i think look better. To applique things onto fabric I use the zigzag stitch on the machine and put the width of the stitch at 2.0 and the length at 1.0.


4 comments:

  1. Those are so adorable! Can't wait to see the pictures of the cousins. You do good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these - post pictures of the kids in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are precious - and so much better than the puffy paint sweatshirts my cousins and I wore in the late 80s!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so good! Those are absolutely adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete