Thursday, April 4, 2013

Attempting to embrace another cold and rainy day

This has been the LONGEST winter in the world to me (and we are even now into spring).  Today was another cold and rainy day but looking at the 10 day forecast, I think this may be one of the last - hooray!  We had a lot of movie and baking cookies days this winter so I figured we had to make this a part of our day today.  

Here are the girls watching Dumbo (which I got free from the library - they have TON of videos to choose from and check out for a week and so far all have played great).
 


Here is a favorite cookie recipe of mine from this winter.  I tweaked a Smitten Kitchen one found here. This is the way I made them:

Ingredients:



1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour*
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon table salt
3/4 cups rolled oats
1/2 bag of dark chocolate chips


*I learned from the "100 Days of Real Food" blog that white whole wheat flour is 100% whole grain and really good for baking.  I'm now hooked and use it a lot more often than whole wheat flour in my baking and cooking.  

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar, egg and vanilla.  Then in another bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients on low to medium speed.  Then stir in oats and chocolate chips.

Place cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.  I always bake a few and then roll the rest into balls and freeze for another time.  I have NO WILLPOWER so this way I don't eat all the cookies in one sitting. :)

Serve with milk and enjoy!






Waiting patiently for the cookies to cool. 
Yum, yum!
I think Lawson is sad her cookie is all gone. 

I roll the extra dough into balls and freeze.  Then I put them in a ziplock and I can pull out as many as I like to bake fresh when I want them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment