Monday, March 22, 2010

A Post for my Sister


***If you work, you’ll probably want to stop reading this right now (or you can continue to read, but I know you are going to find this pretty obnoxious.) If you’re a new stay at home mom or wife and not sure what to do with yourself, this blog is for you.

My sister had her first baby the other week and has now spent one week at home and told me she doesn’t really know what to do. Sure she’s been busy with the new baby, but since she can’t continue on with her “working” life, she doesn’t know what people who stay at home do all day. I have to say, the first few weeks of not working were the same way for me. I think this is why a lot of my friends always say, “I could never not work – I’d be so bored.” Sure, at first, but once you get into your routine you find yourself just as busy as a working girl. To help you out, here is how I spend most of my weekdays:

  • Wake up
  • Make breakfast for my husband and me and pack his lunch while he showers
  • Feed the dogs
  • Elton then heads off to work and I begin to pick up (make the bed, put dishes away, open all the blinds, sweep, etc.). I like the house to be cleaned before I enjoy my day at home.
  • Next, I will sometimes check up on the news, read a few blog posts, write a blog post if I have one in mind (like today) and make my to do list if I haven’t already. I usually make myself a cup of green tea while I do this.
  • Begin to tackle my “to do” list.

Sometimes this list consists of making phone calls or appointments, fixing something around this house (e.g.: today I’m going to try and tackle a leaking kitchen sink since it’s going to cost at least $100 if I hire a plumber and I think I can do it myself), running errands – grocery store, Target, Home Depot, etc., organizing a closet or drawer in my house, working on a sewing project – you get the idea.

Other things:

-Every day I make sure I get in at least 30 minutes of cardio workout (right now it’s a long walk each day and a strength class twice a week) and I make sure to walk the dogs and brush them with the Furminator.

-Cooking is another activity I do a lot of since I have the time. For example, I’ll make my granola for breakfast instead of buying the store-bought kind. This way I can control how much sugar goes into it and I think everything tastes so much better when it’s homemade.

If you find yourself getting bored, look around your home and think – “What needs to be organized? What needs to be cleaned?” There are always things to do. I also will have days where I just want to relax. I might look through magazines or blog posts for decorating ideas and watch a movie.

I hope this helps for all you new stay at homers. There is so much you can do with yourself and I promise you will no longer be bored come a week or two! If you have any other ideas, please post away. I’d love to hear them.

Happy Homemaking!

1 comment:

  1. After day 1 of being all on my own (minus the hour Grammy babysat - thank you Grammy!) I think I could get very used to this stay-at-home idea. Especially on pretty days like today. Thanks for the post Reeves!

    ReplyDelete