Monday, April 5, 2010

Strawberries!


I LOVE summer and one of my favorite things to eat during summer are strawberries! I’ve been on a strawberry, granola, yogurt kick lately and I’m excited to see and taste strawberries that keep getting better and better as we approach strawberry season. One problem I’ve had is keeping them fresh, so I did some research, tested it out, and here’s are the results.

To keep your strawberries fresh try the following:

  1. Dampen a dishtowel and lay in a glass dish or a cooking sheet or pan.
  2. Toss out any strawberries that have mold already forming because it’ll spread to the other good strawberries.
  3. Place the strawberries onto the damp dishtowel where they are not on top of each other and preferable not touching. (Do not wash your strawberries yet!)
  4. Cover with the damp dishtowel and place in the fridge until you are ready to eat.
  5. Wash and enjoy!

I tried this last week with organic strawberries (which usually seem to go bad faster than non-organic) and it worked! They stayed fresh for DAYS! Try and get organic if you can b/c strawberries fall on the “dirty dozen” list of “musts” for organic produce. Now I have "Strawberry Fields Forever" in my head. Anyone else?


No comments:

Post a Comment