Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Take advantage of the summer fruit!

With all that great fruit out right now here are two ways to incorporate it into your meals:

1) Strawberry and Avocado Panzanella

This is basically my panzanella recipe which I seriously make every day for lunch, but I’ve been swapping strawberries for the tomatoes since strawberries have been in season and it’s REALLY good!

Here’s what I do so you don’t have to go looking for the recipe on my previous post:

Mix all of the following in a large bowl and then serve.

For one serving size:

1T chopped red onion
1 slice whole wheat bread*, toasted and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 roasted red pepper or poquillo pepper (from a jar), chopped
1T sun-dried tomatoes (jar with oil), chopped
½ ripe avocado
3 mozzarella balls (the little small balls), quartered
1 glove of garlic, chopped
Chopped fresh strawberries (I usually use about 5-6 depending on the size)
3-4 basil leaves, chopped (I LOVE basil!)
1-2T balsamic vinegar
1T extra virgin olive oil (use good quality since you’re not cooking with it)
Salt and pepper to season

It’s really good and I just keep all the above ingredients on hand so I can have it for lunch whenever I want. It’s very filling and healthy!

*Oh, one thing I learned from my friend, Cecelia, who loves to freeze EVERYTHING, is to put your bread in the freezer and then pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds to defrost it and then pop it in the toaster and you’ll never notice it was frozen. (Why I didn’t ever know to do this before, I’m not sure – guess it’s because my parents never did this so I didn’t see this process growing up.) This is great for when you buy whole wheat bread that hasn’t been processed b/c it tends to go moldy REALLY fast.



2) Watermelon Tomato Salad

My mom found this recipe in Southern Living a couple of years ago and we tried it and it was REALLY good. Here’s a link to the recipe online. It’s a great way to put some of that watermelon to use.






Hope these two recipes inspire you to put more fruit into your meals this summer. If you have any other great recipes, I’d love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment