Thursday, September 15, 2011

Done! Well, almost...


I've been working for over a week on piecing together a bunch of fabrics I bought for Emery and Lawson's playroom.  I'm now going to turn this big sheet of fabric into some pillows, but I wanted to do this first so part of the pillows had a "quilt" look to them and to bring in a bunch of different fabrics.  It's always the simplest projects I take on that seem to be the most work.  

I had to first cut the fabrics into strips of 1 1/2”, 2”, 3”, and 4” pieces and I then cut them into different lengths (so now I would have lots of lengths, but all the same widths for each grouping).  Then I organized all the different sized pieces into color groups within their “width group” and pieced them together to create really LONG 1 ½” strips, 2” strips, etc.  After I had four really long strips of those varying widths, I cut them into 60” length strips.  To create the large fabric piece shown above, I varied the widths and color groups and sewed them together lengthwise so now I have a big sheet that is 60” by about 30” or so. Got that??  Yeah, it was a little complicated and very time consuming, but I'm sort of in love with how this turned out and feel like it was well worth the work.  I just hope I don’t mess it up from this point on.




I made valances the other month out of some old curtains and one of the fabrics above and also got one very easy pillow (not pictured) with some of the scraps I had from that project.  Thank goodness something has been easy!  

 

Now I just need two big floor pillows and then maybe some smaller, different sized pillows for the chair.  Hopefully I'll have all this done by the end of the weekend and then I can begin to tackle Lawson's nursery.  Seven more weeks to go in this pregnancy and the nursery isn't anywhere close to being put together.  My mom is coming to visit this weekend so I'm hoping she'll help me motivate to get it done.  

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love that pieced-together fabric! Can't believe there are only 7 weeks left. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to post instructions on how you did the valances!

    ReplyDelete