Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Squash "stew"


…as Elton called it last week when he claimed he actually really liked it and wouldn’t mind it for dinner again this week.  No problem!  This is a new favorite recipe of mine that I got from my mom a few weeks ago.  She gets a produce box delivered to her house in the summer and fall and when she received a spaghetti squash, she didn’t know what to do with it.  She says one of her favorite things to do is “google” a recipe for an item she’s never cooked with and I’m glad I was in town for this one.  She found this recipe through allrecipes.com and it is delicious!

I’ve tweaked a few things, but here is the basic rundown.  If you spot a spaghetti squash out and about, grab one because this makes a great, easy side dish.

Ingredients:


1 spaghetti squash
1  cup chopped zuchinni
1 small onion (can do red or white – I just use what I have on hand)
¼  cup kalamata olives (I LOVE olives so I usually put in about ¾ to 1 cup)
1 garlic clove
1-2 cups chopped tomatoes (you can do roma, cherry, whatever you have on hand)
Handful of basil
Salt, pepper, olive oil

What to do:
Preheat oven to 375 degree.

1)   The first part of the recipe is seriously the hardest.  Cut the squash in half.  It’s tough so be careful! I like to do it “hotdog style” as I used to tell my third graders.  I think it makes it easier to scrape in the end. 

2)   Scrape out the seeds and rub the inside with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3)   Place face down on a baking sheet and roast for about 45 minutes.

4)   Meanwhile, chop your onion, zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, and olives.  I usually like it chunky, but since Emery loves this dish, too, I do it bite size for her. 
5)   Sauté your onion in olive oil.  Once translucent, add the zucchini.  After about 5-10 minutes add your tomatoes and garlic and sauté for another 10-15 minutes.  (I actually like to roast my tomatoes and garlic since I already have the oven on, especially if I use cherry tomatoes.)





6)   When your squash is done, scrape the insides into the pot.  I use tongs to hold it since it’s hot and a fork will easily scrape the inside out.  It should be really easy to do.  If not, it may not be cooked enough.  Toss in olives and basil and mix all together.
 
7)   Serve.  Yum yum!
 
The original recipe also adds feta cheese, but I don’t think it needs it so I just leave that part out.  Feta, goat, or Parmesan could also add a little more yummi-ness to this recipe if you love cheese. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Spaghetti squash! My grandma used to make it but I can't remember how. I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete