Wednesday, February 3, 2010

And the craving of the week is...


Chicken salad!

That’s all I’ve been thinking about ever since I had a delicious chicken salad sandwich at a brunch-get-together on Sunday. I love sandwiches and I normally stay away from chicken salad because I automatically think it’s loaded with fat from the mayonnaise, but… after some Internet research, I found some healthy alternatives to mayonnaise and gave it a try today for lunch…and for a snack…and for another snack. Yep, I’ve had THREE chicken salad sandwiches today. So good! And, no, I’m not feeling guilty b/c it’s actually pretty healthy.

Here’s the recipe (approx. amounts – I kind of just guessed at the amounts of each item):

  • 1 large chicken breast, cooked and chopped into tiny bits
  • ¼ cup red onion, chopped in tiny bits
  • 1 T fresh tarragon, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped in tiny bits
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, again tiny bits
  • ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
  • ½ T Dijon mustard
  • ½ juice of a lemon
  • Salt
  • Pepper

I ate it sometimes on my mini-whole wheat bagels from Trader Joes and other times on sliced wheat bread with spinach and tomato. Both were equally delicious. Man, I could go for a FOURTH sandwich just typing this up right now – but I’ll save the rest for lunch tomorrow - or maybe my 3am snack - I don’t know if I can wait until lunch.

Happy Chicken Salad-ing!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. Do you toast it? I'll bet this would be really good toasted, or in a panini maker.

    ReplyDelete