Wednesday, February 24, 2010

DIY Prints



This summer I bought a calendar from Anthropologie (also have seen it at PaperSource and some other places like that) because I really liked the prints inside. I figured I could probably frame them one day. When I was upstairs in my “junk room” I came across them again and decided they’d be perfect for Emery’s nursery. It was such an easy craft and I really like the way they turned out.
FYI - I do notice that I’m starting to get a little bird theme going on when I said I wasn’t going to have a theme in my nursery, but I’m going to try and stop that by not putting in ANY more birds (except for the bird on the rug I want and my bird mobile, which is now going to turn into wall art, I think – more details to come.) My mom was just here visiting and she noticed I had birds on pillows in my living area and on my hand towels in the bathroom. What is with all the bird stuff that's around these days?! I'm guess I'm just drawn to them for some reason.

Anyways, here’s how simple this project was if you want to give it a try:

1) Cut out the prints (might want to leave a little edge as my mom suggested after I cut them out).

2) Take the paper insert that comes in the frame and trace the size onto poster board and cut it out. Then trace the size of the print onto the poster board and cut out the middle. Now you have a mat to go with the print.

3) Take your poster board mat and lay it on the fabric you want to cover it with (lining it up however you want). Tape the fabric around the edges and cut out the middle and tape it the same way (I cut at an angle to the inside corners so it wraps well).

4) Tape in the print and put it all together in the frame. Easy peasy!


Oh! I also got the chandelier installed today and I LOVE IT! The nursery is finally coming together. All I have left to do is recover the rocker, make my basket liners, finish the wardrobe, do my bird wall art, and find some different curtains because the ones I have right now are NOT gonna work!

(Not a great picture, but you get the idea of how it's looking right now, right?) I'll post better pics when it's all done.

1 comment:

  1. I love how these turned out! And you know I love all of the birds! Your idea to use the fabric but to use the mat to frame it to the right size is cool.

    ReplyDelete