Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Food Staples Make Dinner Simple

Each week my grocery list pretty much looks the same because I know what foods I like, but I don’t like to plan all my meals for the week. I noticed when I planned meals ahead of time, I never wanted those meals for those nights. For example, tonight I was going to have MahiMahi with salad or roasted broccoli and brown rice, but all I wanted was a pasta dish. Since I had lots of my favorite foods, I was able to whip up a surprisingly delicious new pasta dish and nipped my pasta craving in the bud. To share, here are some of my favorite foods that I buy each week:

  • Broccoli
  • Baby spinach
  • Garlic
  • Lemon
  • Red Onion
  • Tomato
  • Avocado
  • Chicken
  • Red, yellow, and orange peppers
  • Eggs
  • Fruit

And here are my pantry staples:

  • Brown rice
  • Whole wheat pasta
  • Red wine vinegar
  • Balsamic vinegar
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Goat cheese
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Sun-dried tomatoes
  • Kalamata olives
  • Chicken broth
  • Red and/or white wine
  • Nuts (walnuts, pine nuts, almonds – sliced and whole)
  • Dark chocolate

Seriously, that’s pretty much everything that lives in my kitchen each week and I pull from these ingredients to whip up my dinners, snacks, and dessert (dark chocolate square –so good!).


Tonight I made a yummy Chicken, Roasted Broccoli, and Sun-dried Tomato with Goat Cheese Pasta dish. If you want to try it, check out what I did:

Ingredients:

  • Whole wheat pasta
  • Chicken
  • Broccoli
  • Sun-dried Tomatoes
  • Lemon juice
  • Garlic
  • EVOO
  • Red onion

First, I heated the oven to 400 degrees and started my pasta water. Once boiling, I threw in the pasta. I also washed and cut up some broccoli and tossed it with garlic and a little oil, salt, and pepper to roast on a baking sheet in the oven while everything cooked (about 15 minutes). Meanwhile, I sautéed the chicken in a nonstick skillet and once it was cooked through, I added some sun-dried tomatoes, the juice of about ½ of a lemon, and a little chopped red onion. I tossed in the roasted broccoli and garlic, the pasta, and sprinkled on some goat cheese. Delicious and simple!

4 comments:

  1. I agree - yum! Barrett and I were supposed to have mahi too but neither of us was in the mood for it. We made pizza instead. I think yours was the healthier dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipie convinced me to sign in to follow your blog (I am so not a blogging person!) - that's how good it is!!!

    ReplyDelete