Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow Day!

We don’t get many snow days in Charlotte, so when we do, we make sure to do it right. I’m grateful it happened on a Saturday so my husband could be home, otherwise it would have been just me and my dogs.

Here are some of my snow day musts:

A hot bowl of oatmeal for breakfast

Appreciating the spring flowers inside to keep me happy on these cold, winter days

A fire

A walk in the snow with the dogs

Homemade cookies

I wanted to try a somewhat healthier cookie recipe rather than a regular chocolate chip one. To my surprise, they turned out to be really good and definitely up my cookie alley. If you like dark chocolate and oats, you’ll like them. If you like semi-sweet chocolate, you probably won’t. I found the recipe here, but used 100% whole wheat flour, chopped up an 80% dark chocolate bar, and added chopped walnuts.


Homemade chicken noodle soup

Here is my simple, delicious, and healthy recipe for chicken noodle soup:

½ chopped onion

3 carrots, peeled and chopped

3 stalks of celery, chopped

Extra virgin olive oil

1 large chicken breast – cooked and shredded

1 quart low sodium chicken broth

1 cup whole wheat egg noodles

Red pepper flakes for heat

Fresh parsley, chopped

½ teaspoon dried thyme (or use fresh if you have it)

Salt and pepper for seasoning

First, sauté the onions, celery, and carrots in some EVOO. Second, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Boil noodles for 7-10 minutes. Add the chicken, parsley, and seasonings. I served today’s with ½ slice whole wheat sourdough bread and a Babybel Light cheese. YUM!


Quilting

Here is the beginning of what I think will be Emery's quilt:

Happy Snow Day!

(Don't you think Elton looks like Mario today? It makes me want to play Super Mario Cart.)

No comments:

Post a Comment